Biochemica UK Ltd is continuing its commitment to providing young people with employment and skills by recruiting its first permanent, full-time Laboratory Technician Apprentice.
Biochemica placed four local youngsters in apprenticeships at the company’s headquarters in Billingham during 2015 and is now looking to expand its technical team in the field.
The Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship will cover all aspects of water treatment in the chemical industry from maintaining cooling towers and high pressure boilers to demineralisation pre-treatment plant and effluent plant.
The role will involve supporting a busy Quality Control Laboratory; working in a regulated environment with Biochemica’s experienced Account Managers on client sites in the North East. Applicants must be over 18 years of age due to insurance restrictions.
Key tasks and responsibilities include:
- Performing laboratory and plant based analysis plus plant adjustments based on results to ensure optimum conditions for productivity and efficiency. The laboratory analysis will use both modern instrumental and classical wet chemistry techniques
- Processing and managing results and stock control via various computer programs to ensure specifications and budgets are adhered to
- Completing documentation to ensure site log books are kept up to date and in accordance with HSE regulations
- Carrying out onsite checks to produce monthly reports for the site Legionella control program
- Performing calibration of laboratory equipment as per relevant procedures
- Assisting in the production of company procedures related to COSHH assessments, risk assessments and methodology
- Liaising regularly with other departments to ensure the company maintains its high quality standards
Biochemica will deliver the Laboratory and Science Technicians apprenticeship framework alongside training provider, NECC (North East Chamber of Commerce). Part of the programme will take place during day release at an educational centre local to the apprentice’s home.
The successful candidate will gain the following qualifications and skills:
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Laboratory Technician
- Technical Certificate – Laboratory Technician
- Up to Level 2 Functional Skills – Maths, English and ICT
- ERR (Employment Rights & Responsibilities)
- PLTS (Personal Learning and Thinking Skills)
- Basic laboratory competence – use of a balance, pipettes and following documented instructions would be advantageous however training will be provided on the use of all relevant laboratory equipment and systems
- Attention to detail i.e. completing paperwork to a high level of accuracy and analysing data
- Computer skills (word processing and spreadsheets) – use of Microsoft Word and Excel for completing reports and documentation. Training on use of specific software packages used in the laboratory will be provided i.e. for managing results
- We are looking for applicants with a keen interest in science, particularly chemistry and the chemical industry
- Candidates must be reliable with good attendance and timekeeping, with the ability to manage tasks to meet defined timescales
- Candidates will be confident and able to work independently and as part of a team.
- 5 GCSEs at C Grade or higher (or equivalent) in Maths, English and Science subjects
How to apply:
Those interested in finding out more and applying for this exciting new position should contact Kristina Sherwood at NECC on 0300 3036322 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to apply is 11 March 2016.